Friday, September 17, 2004

mmmm...political dookie

Well it seems dubyah has a "commonsense practical plan to make high-quality health care more affordable and more accessible," according to cnn.com. While in the same speech he went on to say that "My opponent wants government to dictate. I want you to decide, when it comes to health care."

Bush's proposals include letting small businesses pool resources to buy health insurance at the same discounts available to larger companies. He also favors expanding tax-free health saving accounts for individuals and plans to propose a tax credit to help poor families and individuals buy health coverage. Further, he wants to have health centers in the poorest communities to serve the underprivileged.
Bush has called for a medical liability overhaul to limit malpractice awards and, he argues, drive down health care costs.

After reading this it looks like Mr. Bush's plans could be viewed in one of two ways; the first wayis that he is trying to give individuals and small business the financial means to care for themselves. The other side of this looks like a payoff deal, "look I will give you as an individual some money that you can use to find your own health insurance, but this will mean large companies can be less accountable in providing it for you. This plan also reeks of the trickle down economics of R-R-Ronnie Reagan with the idea of limiting malpractice awards." I realize I was young in the 80's, but I seem to remember that this idea didn't work then either!

Anyway I had some help doing some digging (thank you Mr. Neal) and so far here is what the Bush Plan has gotten us (pay particular attention to the healthcare parts).

In my humble opinion the numbers are speaking for themselves (and spin free). Further, I don't think medical malpractice has as much to do with rising insurance costs as good old fashioned greed. Not that I am condemning that fact, I mean hell our whole society is based on it. I just don't want to be fed a turd and told it is a snickers bar!

No comments: